Immigration Routes for International Students & Graduates in Canada

Canada is a highly attractive study destination for many international students, particularly because of its favourable immigration routes. Through these, international graduates often begin their journey to permanent residency in Canada. If you are an international student in Canada, this article will equip you with the information you need to make your immigration plans after graduation from a Canadian institution.

1. Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) Program

Under this program, international students who have graduated from institutions in Canada can obtain an open work permit (a permit which allows them to work for any Canadian employer).

You are eligible if you:

  • Studied at a designated learning institution (DLI) in Canada

  • Undertook a course/program in Canada for at least 8 months or longer

  • Apply within 180 days after you have completed your program

  • Submit documents to prove you have completed your program (such as your transcripts)

  • Apply with valid immigration documents (a valid passport and study permit)


  • You can apply even if you do not have a job offer yet.

  • You can work part-time, full-time or be self-employed.

  • The work permit is issued for 8 months or longer, up to a maximum of 3 years.